Saturday, September 5, 2009

I Love Saturdays!!!

Hello Folks,

Getting ready to run my 5 miles today and then gearing up for a long 16 mile run tomorrow. I have 3 weeks and then I will visit the beautiful state of Nebraska. My first cousin, Loren, lives there with his family. He teaches at the University of Nebraska. Perhaps I can persuade him and his family to come and cheer my brother Kyle and I along!

I have always loved Saturdays! Maybe because it's the only day of the week that I really don't think about work. Friday is a work day and on Sundays I am always thinking about the work that I need to do on Monday. My kids and I have even thought about getting t-shirts that say, "I love Saturdays!". I recently read a story that I would like to share and I have decided that I to will incorporate this philosophy more into my every day life. The average person lives until he or she is 75. 75 times 52 Saturdays is 3900. That's how many Saturdays we have in our life. I will turn 43 here in just 2 weeks which means I have approximately 1,664 Saturdays to live it up! 1,664 more Saturdays to enjoy my family and spend time with the ones I love. I am guilty of spending too much time traveling and working and not spending time with my family. In the book I read it presented the idea of putting 1,664 marbles in a jar. Every Saturday I will throw a marble away. This may sound somewhat morbid but watching your time run out gives a whole new perspective on prioritizing the things you want to do with your life. This makes us focus on the really important things in your life. Working to make more money is NOT one of them. Spending time working and travelling to have that vacation home, BMW, trip to Germany or to build that dream house doesn't seem all that important anymore. Spending time every chance you get with your family is what is most important to me.

So there you have it....I have 1,664 more Saturdays to enjoy! How many do you have? How would you like to spend them? Who do you want to spend them with?

It is interesting how stories can speak to our soul. I almost did not pick up this book to read and gain this valuable insight to the hourglass we all have to accept as our lives move on. I am so very glad I read it.

Enjoy your Saturday and best wishes for thousands of more Saturdays to come!!! I am off to buy 1664 marbles!!! :)

Love the way running makes me feel,

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment